Cleaning Gel Sensors & Cap

For gel sensor users: it is recommended to rinse the cap with the electrodes after each usage.
Note: You can clean a configured EPOC Flex cap by soaking or rinsing in warm water as detailed below but (1) unplug and remove the EPOC Flex Controller from the cap and (2) make sure the connectors do not get wet ( by putting them into a zip lock bag and sealing with a rubber band for protection against accidental splashes and hold them out of the water) while cleaning the cap and electrodes. This way you can keep the electrode arrangement without having to remove and re-install the sensors.


The cap (without electrodes) can be cleaned in a washing machine at 30° Celsius, using a mild detergent and left to air dry. Please do not put in dryer or iron as this will reduce the life of the cap.
Under most circumstances, cleaning of caps and electrodes in mild detergent (such as children's shampoo) with a toothbrush will suffice. Afterward, rinse the cap with water and the electrodes with distilled water. Finally, remove the excess moisture with paper towel and leave to air dry.
It is not recommended to use disinfectants with high than 20% alcohol , strong oxidisers or bleaching agents as they will reduce the life of the cap.
Note: Dishwasher detergents often leave a film and alter the electrode surface and disinfectants will react with the sensor material. Children’s shampoo is a good choice for cleaning caps and electrodes.

Gel Electrodes

Clean the electrodes immediately after each use, best before the electrolyte gel or paste starts to dry and rinse the rest of the gel out of the sensors under a running tap.
In case of dried gels, please soak the electrodes for a short while (30s) and rinse again, or use a soft toothbrush. In case of more persistent or greasy stains you may use a mild detergent, such as pure soap or baby shampoo, and clean your cap and electrodes in luke-warm soap water. Always rinse with water after cleaning and dry the electrodes with a tissue or towel.
Note: Dried gel may reduce the capacity of the sensor to transduce signals and is a frequent reason for bad signals and impedance.
The electrode manufacturer explicitly warns:
  • Do Not to soak electrodes in saline solution or chloride them, as corrosion of connections will result.
  • Do Not to autoclave or use other hot sterilization methods as the wire insulation can be damaged.

Saline Electrodes

EMOTIV saline electrodes are only subjected to saltwater in use which should be rinsed with clean water after each use to prolong the life of the sensor.
The sensors are silver/silver chloride plated which can be easily scratched by other metal parts.
The cap will inevitably get saltwater on it and should also be rinsed and air-dried between users for hygiene and comfort reasons.